Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Peek At My Week-Week of January 6, 2014

Another week begins!  I wish the weekend was longer (and I feel terrible saying that just coming off of a four month maternity leave and a long weekend because of a snow day on Friday)!  There is just too much to do and not enough time to do it in!

Thank you to Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for hosting the "Peek at My Week" linky party!!!



This week is sure to be a busy week.  My class will be introduced to a lot of new and exciting concepts!

Reader's Workshop:  Our grade level is currently halfway through our nonfiction unit, which has got to be my favorite unit that learn about all week long!  We will be spending a lot of time partner reading this week.  Within partner reading, students will be sharing their opinions of the books they are reading.  They will also be looking to determine the author's purpose of a story, which is key to nonfiction texts.  I love using Deanna Jump's beanie baby strategies posters (from her guided reading packet) to supplement our district's given curriculum...the posters are so colorful and cute!  My students really connect to them.



Writer's Workshop:  In keeping with the nonfiction theme, my students will be writing about a topic they know a lot about...FIRST GRADE!  That's right, we are writing all about our classroom and the routines, rituals and subject areas we participate in.  Our district likes teaching students how to break down a large topic into subtopics (i.e. First grade--reader's workshop, writer's workshop, everyday math, etc.) and then adding details to those subtopic areas.  My students last year created a class book for my students this year.  We will be doing the same again!  Last year my class also turned their writing into an ebook, which I am hoping to do again this year (more on that in another post I am working on)!

Everyday Math:  My students will be exposed to telling time to the quarter hour.  They will also learn about timelines, number scrolls and fact power.  I love teaching this fact power lesson.  I give "superpowers" to my students and we spend time shouting out "FACT POWER" as students are able to quickly respond to math facts.  I will also be starting my math centers with them.  Prior to this week, the class has been participating in math centers that my long-term substitute ran but she didn't run them the way I do.  My students will be using our laptops and iPads for the first time ever.  I think they will love it!
Our Math Center flipchart for our Promethean Board!
Orton Gillingham:  Our district, my school specifically, has invested time and training into this program.  I absolutely love it!  This week we are working on the end T blends of -lt and -nt.

Have a great week everyone!!!

7 comments:

  1. We finished up that same unit of Math before the break. Those number scrolls become my enemy very quickly :) Hope you enjoyed your break!

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! Do you put them in the paper towel tubes? I did that for a few years and couldn't stand it so instead I put them in a folder and staple them on top of one another. As they complete each page, I check it and then give them their next page. I don't know if this is the best routine or what, but they become my enemy as well! It's all anyone wants to do lol. Have a great week! Good luck on your first day back!

      Meredith
      1, 2, Eyes On You!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!
    Just letting you know I've nominated you for an award!! Check out my blog here to find out more :)
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin! Thank you so much! I will be writing and posting. Thank you for thinking of me!

      Delete
  4. I'm your newest follower! Thanks for all the great teaching ideas and for stopping by my blog :)

    Lisa @ Before Meets After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Thank you for stopping by here. I love visiting your blog as well!

      Delete