Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Teacher Week Day 5-- Tips and Tricks

Hi everyone!  I can't believe we've reached Day 5 already!  Today I'm linking up with Blog Hoppin' one last time for their Teacher Week.  Today's topic is...Tips and Tricks (Teacher Tricks)!!!


This is such a great topic because I love sharing my experiences with colleagues, friends and the blogosphere about what goes on in the classroom!  There are so many tips I could share but I think I'm going to focus on one area...parent communication.

Parents LOVE to be communicated with.  They like to know what's going on in the classroom, what special activities are coming up, if volunteers are necessary in the classroom, extra assignments or technology that can be used at home, or even just to hear how well their child is doing!  I saw that Lynda from Curls and a Smile, who's hosting the linky party today on Blog Hoppin', shared her tip of using Remind101.

Something that I was introduced to in the UConn Educational Technology program was using a class website as well as utilizing Google.

This past year I created a Google website for one of my UConn classes.  It was free, so I decided to try it out.  It looked like this:



While I loved it, it was just too confusing for parents and I lost track of updating it because it had too much content.  I'm sure you can see in the pictures below!





The opportunity arose in the spring in another one of my UConn classes to create a new website.  I chose a new site altogether (Weebly) and love the finished product!  It's clear, concise and simple for parents to receive information on our school day!  Free as well!!!!






Another thing I LOVE using with parents are Google Docs.  I simply type in the volunteer opportunities for parents, make sure the link is editable for parents, send home a note and email it to them to sign-up for chances to volunteer in our classroom, and I'm done!  There's no need to organize papers or speak to parents on the phone...everyone can see who has volunteered for what!  Here's an example of one of the forms I used this year.  This works well for class parties, field trip volunteers, classroom volunteers, and much more.  I have saved so much time using Google Docs!!!  Plus, it's FREE!!!!!!!!!  You just need an account!


Thank you to all of the wonderful bloggers and Blog Hoppin' for hosting this week-long linky party.  I've had a blast!

Don't forget to shop the big sale on TpT this Sunday and Monday!  My entire store will be 28% off!  I linked up yesterday with Pinkadots Elementary in this blog post talking about my store and wishlist items!



No comments:

Post a Comment