Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Teacher Week Day 2- Classroom Digs!

Hello again!  I'm linking up with Blog Hoppin', the wonderful Amy Lemons from Step Into Second Grade, and Deedee Wills from Mrs. Wills Kindergarten to share my classroom digs!



I love this time of year...the time when we all get a fresh, clean slate to makeover our classrooms and start brand-new!  I'm so incredibly jealous of these women and how far along they are in their classrooms!  We will not be getting into our classrooms until the day before professional development begins and, to be honest, I am quite nervous about that!  Major construction is on-going in my building and we have been asked not to come in.  Last year I worked for four weeks on my room before we went back!

Being that I haven't stepped foot in my room and have no idea what it looks like following this construction, I only have pictures from my progress last year (and that was when I was halfway done with the room).  I wish it was more updated for you all to see but I have to work with what I have.
View from the door...I am the only classroom in the building that has two floor-to-ceiling windows (everyone else just has one).  New windows are going in with new blinds, so it will feel brand-new all over again!
Last summer I purchased six storage Ottomans from Walmart for $20 each.  I recovered the lids, sprayed them with scotch guard and ta-da!  Here they are (you can see them with the bottom in the picture above).

Back view of my classroom.  The two boards in orange trim are bulletin boards and the board in the middle is actually a chalk board that I covered with fabric as well to keep the continuity of the room.  The board on the left is used as our "Author's Spotlight," highlighting student work.  The middle board is our "Genre Board," where I display the different elements of each new literacy unit.  The bulletin board to the right was used at my CAFE board, but I'm unsure that I will be doing the Daily Five again as I will be out on maternity leave.  Instead, I plan to use that as a Reader's Workshop comprehension/decoding strategy wall (same idea, just different format and graphics).  It will be easier for my substitute.  
Side of my classroom.  I made a smaller bulletin board, which I stapled right to the wall, for student to mark their Writer's Workshop progress with.  I put their picture with velcro on the wall and then the move it as they complete each step (Brainstorming, Drafting, Conferencing, Revising, Editing, Publishing).

Side view...I love my windows!  My room is so bright all day long (although it can be very hot in the early fall/spring months).  The pink bulletin board on the left is our Math Wall and the Pink bulletin board on the right is used for all of our literacy artifact charts,

The teacher desk is no longer there!  This was my first year without a teacher desk and guess what?!?!  I didn't miss it one bit.  I had my teacher's toolbox that I made from Pinterest and was all set.  The bookcase is no longer there either (the custodians removed it and took it away because it couldn't sit on the floor); that wall instead contains the Word Wall, which I purchase from Erica Bohrer as well as some of our district Phonics necessities.  The whiteboard has Erica Bohrer's days of the week, months of the year words as well as our "Interactive Word Wall" and "Science Word Wall."

Please excuse my sleeping child...helping Mommy is exhausting work!  This right whiteboard is where I post our schedule, the objectives and our Target Word Poster (key words from each lesson...they get erased each day and restarted with each new lesson.  It does not have to be done that way; prior to teaching second grade I always just added on the chart until the whole unit was complete).  The side bulletin boards are where I place my "Job Spot" board and our school-wide PBIS expectations.  The multi-colored drawers contain all of our math game materials and the white shoe organizer are student mailboxes.  Students pass in homework to the bins on top.

That is all I have from my classroom last year.  Although I had a month, I was so rushed in moving rooms, setting things up, going through my old things, making new things (both from TpT Erica Bohrer's shop and my own) that before the first day of school came along, I never took pictures!  I will not be doing that this year..."take lots of pictures" is on my to-do!

I have uploaded my student learning objective signs and my writing process icons/signs to my TpT store for you as freebies FOR TODAY ONLY!  I want to thank you for reading this entry and my new blog!  They are very simple but my students know to look to them for clarity and understanding each and every day.  It helps to keep the routines and rituals in check in the classroom!  

Looking forward to the rest of Blog Hoppin's Teacher Week!


4 comments:

  1. Oh how fun to have a new classroom! Although it's so hard to have a short amount of time to set everything up, I wish you the best of luck!!

    How awesome that you included freebies in your blog post! I am definitely following you and will pick those freebies up right now just in case I ever need them!!

    Thank you so much :)

    XO, Kelly Anne
    Appleslices4th.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly Anne! Thank you for visiting my blog, following it AND downloading my freebies...you are amazing!!!! Can't wait to read more of your blog!

      Meredith
      1, 2, Eyes On You!

      Delete
  2. Hi Meredith! I just found your blog! It's great. I love the name and all of your ideas. I love being organized and loving my nice, neat, new teacher stuff, too! :) I'd love you to stop over to my blog if you get a chance!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn! I will definitely be following your blog as well. Thank you for the compliments. Being organized and having new supplies is the best feeling in the world (in fact, my husband and I went shopping for more tonight lol...can't help ourselves).

      Thank you again! :)

      Delete