Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

New School Year!

It's hard to believe that summer is coming to a close (or maybe even has come to a close for some of you).  The countdown to the end of the school year can be so slow and then the summer break can fly by in a flash!  I couldn't wait for the school year to end so that I could spend some time with this little girl:


We have had a fantastic summer but all good things must come to an end so that even more exciting opportunities can begin!  Our district returns to school on August 21st and the first day for students is August 26th.  

How do you prepare for the beginning of a new year?  For a fresh start?

One word.

Organize.


I must organize.  

The first thing I did before school even ended was take inventory of my classroom.  One of the main things I knew I would be purchasing were the folders for my students to use.  I love going to Staples and purchasing a folders in every color they have available.  This year, the paper folders are $0.20 each.  Here's what I walked away with:


My students will have folders for each subject area:

Reader's Workshop
Writer's Workshop
Math
Phonics/Poetry
Unfinished Work

Here are some examples of what the labels look like:



I also buy extra because you never know what may come up through the school year!  I'm thinking of adding a Science Folder and a Social Studies Folder this year, just to add to the organization.

Students will also receive a homework folder from me.  On the inside I label one side "Homework" and the other side is labeled "Finished Work and Notices."  These folders go home each evening with each student and need to be returned each day.  It's a great system!  I rarely have a lost folder.  My first year teaching, I used the above paper folders.  I had to make three or four sets of homework folders because they kept ripping.  I ended up purchasing the poly folders my second year and was pleased that I did not need to replace them at all.  Those have been my go-to.  Target is selling them for $0.50 a piece...it's money worth spending!

Being that this is my first blog entry back, I would love to give away a set of the labels that I have created and placed on Teachers Pay Teachers!  Just leave a comment in the comments section sharing with me how you get organized for the school year!  

I will choose a winner using random.org on Sunday, August 11, 2013!

Please become a fan of my store on TpT!



3 comments:

  1. I am at a new building this year....again. My district has laid me off for the second year in a row and this will be my 10th year teaching full time. This is my second year teaching second. I taught fourth grade for 7 years and first for 1 year. I start school on Sept 4th and have yet to set up my classroom!! But I totally agree with you with being organized!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. Simon!

      Thank you for reading and commenting on my new blog. Organization is key! Good luck with your classroom set-up!!!

      Meredith

      Delete
    2. And by the way, please comment and leave me your email so I can send you a set of the labels! No one commented before the giveaway ended, so I couldn't hold the contest. I would love to give them to you for commenting!

      Meredith

      Delete