Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

All About Me!

I'm a brand-new blogger so I know that no one knows anything about me yet!  Linking up with Blog Hoppin' for their Teacher Week '13 is the perfect opportunity to get to know everyone a little better and for you to get to know me better!


So here goes....

My name is Meredith and I live in Connecticut with my husband, Mr. W, our daughter and our wonderful, lovable, crazy bulldog Bugsy!

Our Bugsy...he's almost eight-years old now!  We love him so much!
I am nine-months pregnant with our second child, another girl, who still is nameless.  It's so hard (in my opinion) to choose a name for your own child if you are a teacher!!!  Our newest addition is due the third week that we are back in school and yes, I am going to start the school year.  It's quite the opposite from my first pregnancy...with my Sweet Pea, I went on maternity leave at 37 weeks because of swelling and high blood pressure.  This time, at 37 weeks, I will be starting the first day of school!

Sweet Pea when she was hours old.
My daughter, my Sweet Pea, is the light of my life.  Sweet Pea is two-years old and every bit of a two-year old.  She is so smart, funny and makes me laugh every moment we are together.  It is hard to not be with her during the school day but knowing that she is having fun with family members and her father (who works a second shift so he gets to be with her all morning long) makes the day go by faster.  We recently started dance lessons (hurray!) and made it almost all the way to the end of the class...except when they pulled out the bubbles.  My Sweet Pea wanted them so badly and just became so upset when she couldn't have them!

Oh, the paper towels...my little helper tried to "help" clean with me.  


My husband and I have been together for eight years and married now for five years.

Seven years ago...we look like babies!
Have I mentioned we're HUGE Boston Bruins Hockey fans?  Like drive to Boston fifteen times a year crazy....three plus hours both ways?!?!  We love it!

Go B's!!!

We met right through a mutual friend right after I graduated from college.  I had just graduated with my B.A. in dance and was helping my friend open her dance studio.  I had danced for 23 years (ballet, tap, jazz and modern) until a foot injury and two surgeries ultimately ended my dreams of opening a dance studio and working with dance professionals around the world.  It is fun though to watch my friends work with celebrities and on many of those dance shows!  And I get to dance with my first graders all the time, which is awesome!

Our wedding day five years ago...it feels like yesterday.
My husband works for our district as well as a custodian at an elementary school.  I would bring him dinner after I finished teaching dance on Fridays, just in time for his dinner break.  After meeting many of his fellow teachers and spending time with them, I decided that was something I wanted to pursue--becoming an elementary school teacher!  I went back to school, completed my Master's degree in elementary education, became certified and then found out I had my first job...at my husband's school where I spent all those Friday nights!  He had since moved on to a new school but it was still fun nonetheless.

I taught first grade that first year, then was RIF'd (Reduction In Force) due to budget cuts, which caused me to move to a new school.  I taught second grade there for three years and then was moved back to first grade last year.  That is where my heart is!  I absolutely LOVE first grade.  The students are so wonderful; so eager to learn and so sweet.  They make me laugh with all of the little things they do every day.

Summer 2012 I began my sixth year degree in Educational Technology at the University of Connecticut.  It is a year-long full-time program but a fantastic one at that because it's all online!!!  I could go to school in my pj's if I wanted.  So, I taught full-time, was in school full-time and then had my family to take care of as well.  In January, I found out that I was nominated for "Teacher of the Year" in my school district!  Two weeks later Mr. W and I found out we were expecting baby #2 and then I began the spring semester for UConn.  Needless to say, it was a crazy middle of the school year for everyone!
2 Summer's Program in Educational Technology at UConn

Spotlight on Teachers ceremony receiving my recognition award for being nominated for Teacher of the Year in my district.
I wake up each morning with a smile on my face.  It is so nice knowing that I have a job that I love (yes, I love this more than dance...millions of times more than dance) where I am able to go to make a difference.

This has been so exciting, starting this blog.  I look forward to sharing more about my teaching and life with you all!!!

6 comments:

  1. It was fun reading about you. I love your blog name!
    -Lisa
    http://gradefourbuzz.blogspot.ca/2013/08/meet-teacher.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute blog name! My kinder kiddos always yelled that at me. LOL!

    Kim
    Carried Away in... K!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I love your blog as well...I'm your newest follower! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Meredith!
    I'm so glad you found my blog! I enjoyed reading about your crazy life. I feel like we have so much in common! I'm also your newest follower!
    Meghan
    First Grade Hugs and High Fives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meghan!

      We definitely have a lot in common! It's nice to make connections with so many different people. I'm excited to follow you as well! :)

      Meredith

      Delete